Kamwiziku Guyguy, Microbiologist, Kinshasa University Hospital, Kinshasa. Email: On request
Fungal burden of disease in Democratic Republic of Congo: Now published 2021
How you have helped GAFFI so far?
Help to review the existence of fungal diseases in the DRC
- Participate in listing the diagnostic tool in the DRC
- Participate in listing the antifungals used in the DRC
Personal comment on the major needs in Austria which GAFFI should be addressing:
- Training of laboratory staff on the diagnosis of fungal diseases from microscopy to molecular biology
- Equipped with a few reference laboratories with diagnostic tools due to the vastness of the country, making it possible to create a network around a central laboratory which would be at the University of Kinshasa
o Kinshasa (west)
o Kasai (center)
o Lubumbashi (South east)
o Bukavu (central east)
o Kisangani (North east)
- Carrying out studies on some fungal diseases across a few sites in the country (the DRC is very heterogeneous) this will allow advocacy with donors.
Links to key fungal/global health institutions in DCR: WHO : https://www.who.int/countries/cod ONUSIDA : https://www.unaids.org/en/regionscountries/countries/democraticrepublicofthecongo Fond Mondial : https://www.theglobalfund.org/fr/ CROIX ROUGE : https://www.croixrouge-rdc.org/notre-vision-et-mission